September 24th – 30th is Banned Book Week. A number of our cherished classics have made the list over the years. Books usually are challenged with the best intentions—to protect others, frequently children, from difficult ideas and information.
“Censorship can be subtle, almost imperceptible, as well as blatant and overt, but, nonetheless, harmful.”
Children’s Books: A common reason given for challenging a book is “unsuited/inappropriate for age group.” Authors such as Alvin Schwartz, Mildred D. Taylor and Roald Dahl are listed more than once on this list of 130 frequently challenged children’s books.
Young Adult Books: This list includes books written for YA audiences and those featuring a YA main character.
Classics: At least 46 of the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century have been the targets of ban attempts.
Books with Diverse Content: OIF found that out of the 2015 Top Ten Most Frequently Challenged Books, nine of them contained diverse content. The 86 books on this list include content by or about people of color, LGBT people and/or people with disabilities.
Stop by your library this week and check out a banned or challenged book. See if you agree with the reason it may have been challenged.
Royal Center – Boone Township Public Library is accepting applications for a part-time (6 -10 hrs. per week) position to assist with Children and Adult Programming. The primary function of this position is to plan, coordinate, conduct, and evaluate programming events.
- Interested applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Strong computer skills including internet, standard office applications, and smart devices.
- Must be organized, enthusiastic, and work well with all age groups
- Excellent communication skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates program planning and service delivery for all ages.
- Prepares regular reports on programming services for the Library Director.
- Occasional evening and weekend shifts required
- Satisfactory criminal history background check appropriate for working with children
- Respond to inquiries and provide customer service, assistance and instruction to library patrons; interprets library rules, policies, and procedures to the public
- Assist patrons in selecting appropriate children’s, teen, and adult materials
- Assist with other projects and activities as needed
- Provide technical support with public computers, e-readers, and tablets by troubleshooting user problems
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Good Customer Service
- Able to work as a Team Member
- Communicates ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully
- Willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities
- Portrays a positive image of the Library
- Strong computer skills
- Flexibility of schedule, occasional evening and weekend shift required
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to think logically and follow directions
Interested applicants will submit application and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail required documents to Royal Center-Boone Twp. Library, PO Box 459, Royal Center, IN 46978. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Employment Application available at the library during regular business hours.
Royal Center-Boone Township Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We’ve had a couple of patrons stop by to see if we are giving away glasses for the solar eclipse next week. Sorry, but we are not offering those. Please be safe and protect your eyes when watching it next week.
Now that our library is able to offer eBooks for our patrons, the number of check-outs using this format have steadily risen. As a member of the eIndiana Digital Consortium, through the Evergreen Indiana library consortium, we are able to offer several hundred book title options for our patrons. If you own a tablet, Nook, iPad, Kindle, or even a Smart phone, and have not yet looked at your ebook options, now is the time. If you own one of these devices but are not sure how to access the library resources, stop by or call us! We will be glad to walk you through the process and even provide written instructions on how to activate this library resource.
Calling all Chili connoisseurs!
The Royal Center Library Friends of the Library group is hosting their 1st Annual Chili Cook off. The event will take place on Saturday February 11th, with tasting taking place from 11 AM through 3 PM.
Whether you like to cook it or just eat the chili – we welcome everyone to join us for this fun event. Cook team applications and Cook Off Guidelines are available here: cook-off-application and cook-off-guidelines
Call at at 643-3185 or email us at email@example.com if you have questions!
The library is going to be CLOSED this Saturday, December 31st for computer Operating System Updates.
We would also like to take the time to remind you that when we re-open on January 3rd, our hours of operation will be changing.
The new hours will be:
Tuesday – 10am to 5pm
Wed., Thurs. – 11am to 5pm
Friday – 11am – 6pm
Saturday – 10am – 2pm
Sunday – CLOSED
Monday – CLOSED
We look forward to serving you in 2017. Come and see us at the library!
We love this time of year at the library! The library is decorated in festive attire. Our hat and mitten tree looks lovely with the white twinkling lights. As a part of this fun time of year, we are going to have a Cookie Exchange on the 20th and an Ugly Sweater Contest on the 21st. We would love for you to join us!
Bring a batch of your favorite Christmas yummy to share. We will provide you with a box to collect samples from the other batches of yumminess that will also be brought in that morning. We hope to see you at 11:30 a.m. to share some baked goods, coffee, and good conversation.
We all have that ugly sweater hanging in the closet that we only reveal once a year around Christmas time. Pull that on and come participate in our Ugly Sweater Contest at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the 21st. First prize is tickets for 2 at the Mary Max Theater. There are some really great movies coming out in the next few weeks and free tickets are a perfect Christmas present for yourself and a companion.